tirsdag 11. desember 2012

Destination Wishlist - Ice Hotel



On the very top of my Destination Wishlist, the Ice Hotel in Jukkasjarvi in Sweeden looms like an enormous frozen wonder - which is exactly what it is!  
This hotel is an amazing work of art that is re-made every single winter from the ground up by a few selected designers.


"What is ICEHOTEL? A hotel built of ice and snow, would be the most common response.  The first and the largest in the world, someone might add. 
- http://www.icehotel.com
  

  





This out of the ordinary masterpiece seems to not only only have the looks, but also the service and comfort as well - at least according to Trip Advisor where it has some really good reviews.

Fortunately for the visitors the Ice Hotel is not only ice, it also has warm accommodations!  When staying for several nights it's recommended to only spend only one night in the actual ice part of the hotel, and the rest of your stay in warmer surroundings with a normal bed.

A night in an ice suite must be something quite out of the ordinary, and for sure something I want to try at least once in my life.  Even though I'm sure it's an amazing experience, I'm pretty sure I'll be thrilled to sleep in a regular bed the day afterwards.  :)


"The bed you'll sleep on is made of blocks of ice, a wooden base and a mattress covered with reindeer skin. Instead of a door, you pull a curtain in front of it. The snow wall are very sound isolating, so a loudly snoring neighbour will not keep you awake.

Around 7.30 am, you will be awaken by one of our guides and served hot lingonberry juice by the bed. In the warm building, you can enjoy a warm morning sauna before going to ICEHOTEL Restaurant for breakfast.
" 
- http://www.icehotel.com











Other than sleeping, freezing, taking pictures, and freezing some more, there actually are some other activities I would want to try out while visiting the Ice Hotel that I will list below. :)



The Ice Hotel is offering several wonderful activities to participate in during your stay with them.  One of these are ranking on top of my list of things that I want to have tried out at least once in life
Dog sledding: Overnight excursion in search for the Northern lights with your own dog sled! 
To me it really can't get much better then that.

"The wilderness around Jukkasjärvi is a landscape without roads. Our four-legged local transport can forge its own paths over the expanses of white snow. Experience the dream-like sensation of being close to everything – animals, snow and nature – with yourself in the center of it all."
 


Drive your own team of huskies on an exciting sled dog adventure with overnight stay in the charming and rustic wilderness cabin. This 2-day adventure includes a visit to the kennel, an introduction to how to drive your own dog sled, overnight at a wilderness cabin with sauna and dinner.    

- http://www.icehotel.com


This is something I've always wanted to do, and I absolute L-O-V-E Huskies   For me, not much will ever top this. They have different dog sledding programs available, but I personally would go with the one lasting the longest!



The second amazing thing to cover while visiting would be Ice sculpting! The result of the sculpting might not exactly be on the level of the surroundings, but who cares!  What a cool thing to try! (Pun intended)

 
Pretty awesome if you ask me.  :)


And last, but not least, the final important step on my wishlist while visiting the freezing cold up north is to stop by the ICEBAR.

    

I visited the Ice Bar in Stockholm several years ago, and it really was something quite out of the ordinaryNever had a drink from a glass made of ice?  Well, in this bar, they  serve no other.



...I'm so ready to pack my bags right now.  Are you?
















Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar