lørdag 12. januar 2013

The Big Brownie Experiment!

I had to have something sweet.... there was just no way around it...

So, since I was going to have something caloric one way or another, I figured I might as well do my best to make it as healthy as possible.

I didn't have much around, and the stores were closed... what to do.  Didn't really have a lot of ingredients for anything at all really, so baking from scratch wasn't really an option. 

Luckily for me I found a  low-carb brownie mix that I could use, all the way in the back of the closet.  Last time when I tried it I remember I was thinking; Hmmm, sure, it's good... but how can I make it better?





So, this time around I got creative, and the result is absolutely awesome! Seriously, I could eat the whole thing in one go! Yum!

I followed the recipe on the bag, but decided to add some of my own ingredients to add something to make the brownies a bit more healthy, at least in my opinion.

I added two types of protein powder to the mix, both chocolate and neutral.  I did this after I had added the wet to the mix so that I had a better idea of the final consistency.  I had no measures to go by, so I kept adding until I felt that the brownie mix was starting to feel more solid.  At the end I added four tsp of liquid sweetener to the mix as well, which made it even more tasty.







It turned out perfect!  It still kept the dense texture and feel of the brownie, but it wasn't as sticky as the last time.  It felt a bit lighter.



Now I was left with a problem - the frosting!  What on earth to do for a frosting?  Now this is where the total randomness starts.  After digging through fridge and closets, I managed to find some potentially usable ingredients.  Dark Cocoa powder,  Icing Sugar replacement, skim milk, Stevia English toffee and a bag of powdered low sugar vanilla sauce.


 
I had no idea if this was going to work...

I started with the vanilla sauce. 
Instead of adding the 7.5 dl of milk to it, I added only 2 dl of milk instead.  I wouldn't want it to get too liquid.  While I was waiting for it to boil and thicken, I added several topped tbsp of dark cocoa powder.  I kept adding until I was satisfied with the rich chocolate flavour.

The mix thickened, and then I added six drops of the Stevia English toffee that I stirred in.

When the mix had thickened, and I had stirred it for a few minutes, the taste was really intense.  At this point I added the Icing Sugar replacement until the taste was right.


Voila!  Perfect icing for the brownie!



Above you see the initial result, when it's still warm.  Yummmm!  It actually get's even better after a night in the fridge as you can see below.




Ooooh, chocolate brownie love   I'm still amazed at how incredibly good it turned out.  Seriously, if you have the chance, try it out! A healthier version of a brownie - what's not to love?  :)

...Having this thing out of the fridge is seriously damaging my dinner today!  Chocolate brownie for dinner?  Does that sound like a good idea?  :P






Tifa and I wish you a great Saturday!











Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar